There's grass in your basket...


On our recent trip through the Alsace-Lorraine area of France, along the German border, every town we visited had gorgeous planted baskets along bridges, canals and on light posts, not to mention the ubiquitous window boxes and street side planters.

Other than geraniums, the most ever-present plant we saw in these, were grasses. I've not seen too many basket-planted grasses here in the U.S. The photos here show the grass baskets very late in their season, that's why some look kinda' sloppy, but I'm sure throughout the growing season, they look smashing.

I may try more of this next year. I'm happy with any grass that doesn't have to be mowed. The grasses provide the the thriller in the French version of thriller / spiller / filler -- écit à suspense / flaque / remplisseur. Doesn't really roll off the tongue now, does it?


















Comments

  1. I used Hakonachloa with begonias in a pot on the back deck - the nice part is that you can transplant them at the end of the season. Wasn't aware that they turned a great red colour in the fall until they were front and centre in a planter - in the garden they just sort of fade into everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some really beautiful containers. The grasses do make a good "thriller".
    Looks like a wonderful trip.
    I enjoyed seeing your burning bush in the front garden, and your summer garden, window boxes and baskets. That's a beautiful house you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, they really have gone grass crazy. I haven't seen that many here in the states. Too bad because they add quite a lot of excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great containers but how was the wine?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't see a lot of grasses in containers but those are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've started seeing more grasses in containers around here this past summer. I've tried a couple in my fall planters, and I think they look pretty good.
    I love how many of the containers you show are in public areas and that they have such nice combinations in them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or maybe grass was what la maison le Dépôt decided to stock this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. barbarapc,
    Transplanting at end of season is a great benefit.

    Kerri,
    Thanks. We love our house - and as of last week - it's all ours - mortgage paid off! Wahoo!

    Jean,
    Yes, they seem addicted to grass. Funny, huh? I was always told it wasn't addictive.

    Layanee,
    The wine was better than the grass!

    Phillip,
    I hadn't seen many grasses in containers either, that's what struck me as funny when we started seeing them in each town we went to.

    Catherine,
    The only grasses I've found in my baskets and planters are unwanted "volunteers" from old potting soil!

    Al,
    Oui. There were plenty of big-box "shelter stores" in the outskirts of the cities we visited in France on this trip. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts