Most asked questions at Garden Walk Buffalo (2016 version)

 
 Here are some of the most-asked questions during Garden Walk Buffalo this year:

Q. Do you take this down for the winter?
A. No. They're winter-hardy succulents and sedum. They need winter. It does get covered with cloth.
Q. What's on the walls?
A. Pickets from a fence we had taken down. Painted with the left-over paints from other projects around the house (just trying to use up buckets of paint that have been sitting in the basement). Total cost of interior? About $20 in nails.
Q. Do you bring in the mirrors over the winter.
A. No

Q. What are the trailing vines?
A. Variegated creeping Charlie.
Q, Where did you buy the terracotta pot lights?
A. I made them.
Q. What glue did you use to make the glass flowers?
A. I don't know. I didn't make them. I bought a few and others were a gift, from a friend that makes and sells them on Etsy at Art Glass and More.
Q. What's the meaning of the Shrieking Shack?
A. If you don't "get" it, you're a Muggle and I can't tell you.
It looked like this pretty much full time for two days. I kept track with a "clicker" counter on Saturday and clicked in 1,028 visitors. I wasn't around for the first couple hours on Sunday, so we didn't keep track but believe it was about the same - so around 2,000 over the course of the weekend.
I did put out magazines and newspaper articles that featured our garden on the potting table.
One last minute project I eked out was adding lattice trellises to either side of the shed bay window. I'll try and find a marked-down climbing vine this fall at end-of-season nursery sales.
It did briefly rain at the get-go on Saturday, but it didn't stop intrepid garden visitors.
My wife created a scavenger hunt for kids - they had to try to find items in the garden. They had to find:
1
THE SQUIRREL THAT DOESN’T SQUIRM
2
THE BIRD THAT NEVER SINGS
3
THE FISH THAT ALWAYS SPITS
4
THE LUCKY SHOE
5
THE FAIRY CHAIRS
6
THE PINK POLK-A-DOT PLAN

And here's my two favorite things to see in the garden – my wife/groundskeeper (left) and garden writer Sally Cunningham.

Comments

  1. At least you didn't have anyone asking where you got your rug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By rug, I assume you don't mean my hair. There were a few questions about the marble & granite carpet, but not as many questions as the above.

      Delete
  2. Wish I could've sent your clicker to 2001. Surprised your #1 question about the shed wasn't, "Can I have it?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a couple requests for the company that made it. My standard response was, "I built it myself, and you probably can't afford me."

      Delete
  3. Nice. Your garden is so tidy and creative! You are so brave to allow folks to tour it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tidy? When 2,000 of my best friends are coming over, I do tidy up!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts